Sunday, December 8, 2013

December 7, 2013

I worked today at Sew Simple in Lynchburg Virginia. Sew Simple is a locally owned Janome dealer. We were really busy trying to get the shop ready for Christmas. Next Friday John (the owner) is going to have open house for Christmas. Amy, one of his customers, is going to be demonstrating free motion quilting throughout the day. This will be a fun day for all.

Just a little info about the items I like to use when sewing/quilting. I have a few Janome machines. I have the Horizon 12K, Horizon 8900 and the 1600 QC and a Cover Stitch Pro 1000. I have a pair of Machingers gloves and a Queen Slider, both purchased at Sew Simple that helps tremendously.  I was using a pair of gloves with rubber coating on them but once I saw the Machingers the day  Amy was working at the store I decided they might do better.

The Machinger gloves are also available from Leah Day and Amazon. These have rubber type tips that make it easier to grip your quilt while FMQing. Janome has a slider made for their machines that has a small opening over the bobbin cover.  I laid my slider on my machine and felt for the bobbin cover, marked it with a sharpie then took an xacto knife and cut it out. Works like a charm.

For FMQ I use the convertible quilting set from Janome. I also purchased the ruler toe for this set once I found quilting with rulers. This is also a Janome part and available at Sew Simple. It is called Convertible Free-Motion Frame Quilting Feet, Part #767433004. As far as I know only Janome has the ruler toe like this.


Tomorrow I hope to get a chance to practice my free motion quilting. I received my new Fine Line rulers last week. I have been too busy to use them so far but tomorrow will be the day. I learned about these rulers from Amy's blog.  I watched her video and thought "YES" I can do this. So I dug out a ruler that I had purchased, not Fine Line, and gave it a try. It was a lot easier than I thought.  I can't wait until tomorrow and I can use the new rulers.

Until next time, Happy Sewing

No comments:

Post a Comment