Saturday, January 4, 2014

DH was at work today (Jan. 3) so I got a chance to cut strips for a log cabin star quilt I have been wanting to make. I got all the strips cut out and in order. I used eating utensil trays to line up the strips from color 1 to 5. It worked out rather well! I have the 'darks' in one tray and 'lights' in another one.

I have sewn the first 2 strips together so tomorrow I will press them and cut them apart. DH will be home any time now so I will quit for today and spend time with him.

OK, another day (Jan. 4) with my DH at work. I am not cutting separate logs but am working like Eleanor Burns and 'stripping'. I love this method when making a quilt that uses strips. The blocks go together so fast and when you finish sewing one block then all of the blocks are finished about the same time. They are then ready to sew together in your favorite quilt setting.

I cut the first strip set apart in 2" segments and have sewn them to the next strip.
Time to cut them apart, press & then sew to the next strip. When I sew them to the strip I butt them close together so I won't have to cut but 1 time between sets. 
You see where the needle sits, right at the edge of the last 'block'. I will place the next 'block' right beside the needle. You can see in the previous picture how close they are.

I cut them apart and them press them toward the log. Cutting them first makes them easier to cut straight without using a ruler.

There are 36 blocks to the quilt. The 4 center ones are made as a log cabin but not in the normal log cabin way. These four block are sewn in rounds in all darks. Then 32 normal log cabins will complete the quilt setting.
The rest of the blocks are normal log cabin blocks. I will post more pictures as I go along. Tomorrow DH has to work again so hopefully I will get to the point that I will be on the last round and be able to post another photo. Although the quilt takes 36 blocks I am making 38 so I will have enough to make shams.

I normally have a friend quilt my quilts on her Tin Lizzie longarm but for this one I am going to FMQ. I want to take time on this one and make it a show piece. Just for me, not for competition.

Well enough for tonight. Will try to post my progress tomorrow. For tonight....... ta ta.


2 comments:

  1. The fabrics are beautiful. I look forward to following your progress! I am in the quilting phase of a log cabin (my first) myself. Coincidentally, it's also blue and white. I'll get more pictures on my blog if you're interested. I didn't blog about it before Christmas....that would be a long story! Just wanted to say I really like your block and hope to see more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen
      I just posted a few more photos. I hope you enjoy them

      Delete