Friday, December 6, 2013

December 6, 2013

I have been sewing since I was a child. My love for creating has only gotten stronger.

I have been quilting since the late 80's. The lady that got me started showed me the basics about making blocks. She taught that you make blocks and sew them together. It didn't matter is some ran a little larger, just drop a pleat when sewing them together. Everything at that time was cut by scissors by a template. AND the quilt was 'tacked' or hand quilted.

My friend also taught me to make the backing large enough so when I finished the quilt, whether tacked or hand quilted, to bring the back to the front and hem the edges down. I don't think I found binding until 2002!!

I hand quilted quite a few quilts before I found out I could machine quilt them and be finished with the quilt in way less time.

As I have progressed on this adventure I found rotary cutters and mats, oh my! This was about 1994. These tools opened a whole new world for me and my craft. It was about then that I found that if you cut accurately, sewed accurate seams and squared your blocks, then you didn't have to 'drop a pleat' and your finished quilt top was oh so much nicer.

Well, I have to go to work now. Will check back in later. Have a great day sewing or quilting.

Will check back in later.
Marsha

No comments:

Post a Comment